- Analytics & Modeling - Digital Twin / Simulation
- Healthcare & Hospitals
- Human Resources
- Virtual Training
As clinical medicine is becoming focused more on patient safety and the quality of care, medical simulation has been proposed as a means to bridge the educational gap between the classroom and the clinical environment.
Dr. Ganni (the director of the GSL SMART Lab (Simulated Modules for Advanced Research and Training Laboratory) in India) was interested in a new age high fidelity simulator that could provide basic surgical and suturing skills training for international accreditation as well as specific hands-on training in complex laparoscopic procedures for practicing physicians in India. Equally important was a means of measuring the acquirement of those skills before the trainee actually performed those procedures in the OR.
GSL SMART Lab
GSL SMART Lab is a “collective effort of the GSL College of Medicine, the GSL College of Nursing and Health Science, serving as an incorporated center point of training healthcare professionals with a definitive goal of enhancing quality and safety of care.
The GSL SMART Lab purchased 3D Systems’ LAP Mentor simulator for hands-on practice of basic skills and surgical procedures.
According to Dr. Ganni, the benefits and advantages of the LAP Mentor for their laparoscopic simulation program are:
- Realistic Training – The simulator has excellent haptic feedback so that you can really feel the resistance of the tissues as you manipulate them.
- Skill Sets and Procedural Modules – The wide variety of modules, tasks, and cases provide both basic and advanced simulation training for beginning students as well as practicing physicians.
- LSS Certification – LSS (Laparoscopic Surgical Skills) is an initiative by the European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES) to provide a standard to (re)credential surgeons to perform laparoscopic surgery effectively and safely.
- Guided Procedures and Free-Hand Training – They can understand the steps and be able to make the transition from the beginning of the procedure cleanly to the end of the procedure.
- Measuring Performance – We can set benchmarks (proficiency levels) for certain metrics and expect the trainees to get to these levels in order to proceed to the next step in the operation before going to the actual operating room.
- Service – The service provided by 3D Systems is outstanding and an important factor in making sure that the SMART Lab functions efficiently.
Case Study missing?
Start adding your own!
Register with your work email and create a new case study profile for your business.