- Sensors - RF Meters
- Facility Management
- Machine Condition Monitoring
- Hardware Design & Engineering Services
In commissioning their 4,000 sq. m. data center, DataVita determined that to ensure efficient operations and support the clients they needed cost-effective rack-level temperature and humidity monitoring. Their service level agreements (SLA) with customers guarantee 100% uptime – if availability drops for even a second, DataVita returns 25% of a customer’s quarterly fees. The company sought an experienced partner to design and deploy a rack-level monitoring solution that would protect both their customers and their revenue.
DataVita goal is to be at the heart of Scotland’s digital economy by offering innovative, agile services delivered from the world-class Fortis datacentre. Opened in 2016 the Fortis datacentre is Scotland’s largest and most advanced purpose-built colocation facility. It is also the first facility in the UK to be Tier III certified for both design and construction. Operated by DataVita, the site has up to 2,000 racks, all powered by 100% renewable energy. With a PUE of 1.18, the center can provide significant cost savings to major organizations that choose to move away from inefficient in-house computer rooms to agile colocation solutions.
RF Code deployed 300 sensors across all 200 racks under management in all live data halls involved in this project. These sensors monitored temperature, humidity, hot aisles, returns, ducting and cooling systems. The team then fully integrated RF Code’s real-time data capture with the data hall cooling controls in parallel with the building management system. The initial plan was to monitor temperature and humidity across all point of delivery (POD) conditions. The scope expanded to include:
- Deploying holistic environmental monitoring and alerting • Enhancing physical security and monitoring, including alerting to unauthorized access to racks via video monitoring
- Integrating RF Code as the primary, real-time control system for the indirect adiabatic cooling solution, and designating the cooling system control sensors as backup
- Implementing dashboard-based service desk monitoring and alerting, with incident creation, escalation, and analysis
With this installation, DataVita was able to move from simply monitoring the building management system controllers to utilizing RF Code's real-time sensor data to dynamically control the cooling systems.
Case Study missing?
Start adding your own!
Register with your work email and create a new case study profile for your business.