*This episode of the Industrial IoT Spotlight podcast is sponsored by PTC
In this episode, we define what “real-time” means for software solutions, and the 3 key factors for digital success.
What does “real-time” mean for customers? What are the key challenges of the digital transformation? How can software providers and system integrators help customers in their digital transformation journey?
- Real-time solutions are mission critical regardless of whichever layer it is in. The solutions have to work; they are in the operations and control levels and they are controlling the operations. Real-time solutions bring together the product lifecycle, automation, and software realms.
- The major problem most clients are facing is the inability to define and support digital transformation.
- “Digital” is commonly used as a catch-all term to describe all the integration needed to address typical challenges such as efficiency and supply chain coordination.
- For each individual problem, different technologies could be considered and implemented. However, it is difficult to select which technology to use based on technical specifications only.
- In reality, the existing infrastructure is not adequate. For example, there may be a mismatch of technology between the various acquisitions, businesses, and divisions that a company has.
- Solution providers can take a multi-disciplinary approach combining consulting and workflow processes to help the client define and understand the scope of work.
- It is not easy to understand and translate business requirements into technical software requirements. Demonstrating software or business processes using a “day in the life of” approach, so that each party can understand the requirements in their own vocabulary, facilitates the alignment of business and technical requirements.
- It is crucial to marry the business and the technology for successful digital transformation. Three factors are key:
- The benefits of the initiative should be clearly defined, and used to create the scope of work.
- Executive buy-in is crucial to motivate people to use digital technologies. The use of digital technologies creates a channel for people to see the value created by themselves.
- Value must be created quickly and tracking must be consistent, so that customers do not need to wait to see value and the possibly of project abandonment is reduced.
Brock Solutions is an engineering solutions and professional services company specializing in the design, build and implementation of real-time solutions for broad based industrial/manufacturing and transportation/logistics organizations globally.
Find out more about getting quick wins designing for the enterprise in this PTC webcast.