The IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing innovation and technological excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community to innovate for a better tomorrow through its highly-cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities. IEEE is the trusted “voice” for engineering, computing and technology information around the globe.
IEEE stands for the "Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers". The association is chartered under this full legal name. IEEE's membership has long been composed of engineers and scientists.
Allied professionals who are members include computer scientists, software developers, information technology professionals, physicists, and medical doctors, in addition to IEEE's electrical and electronics engineering core. For this reason the organization no longer goes by the full name, except on legal business documents, and is referred to simply as IEEE.
2015 - 2020 Goals
- Expand and enable dynamic, nimble, flexible, and diverse communities to help individuals from around the world to share, collaborate, network, debate, and engage with one another.
- Provide technically vital forums for the discussion, development, and dissemination of authoritative knowledge related to traditional technologies, while focusing more of our resources towards serving the professionals working on emerging and disruptive technologies.
- Lead humanitarian efforts around the world to use technology to solve the world’s most challenging problems.
- Leverage IEEE’s technology-related insight to provide governments, NGOs and other organizations, and the public with innovative and practical recommendations to address public policy issues.
Key initiatives supporting the goals
- Provide more opportunities, products, and services aimed at increasing our value to professionals working in the industry; particularly younger professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Ensure the vitality and relevance of our core activities in standards, conferences, education, and publications while providing increased value to our members.
- Develop programs in public service focused on knowledge and technology in our fields of interest, related to public policy and humanitarian efforts.
- Evaluate and adapt organizational structures and processes to meet the demands of a changing environment while managing the financial and sustainable health of IEEE.
IEEE President and CEO: Barry L. Shoop
IEEE President-Elect: Karen Bartleson
IEEE Past President: Howard E. Michel
Director & Secretary: Parviz Famouri
Director & Treasurer: Jerry Hudgins
Executive Director: Dr. E. James Prendergast
Download PDF Version